Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Lame Excuses, You Wanker

Just a quick update. I haven't thought much about the blog for a couple reasons. The first, and probably the instigator for the second, is that the power/charging cord for my computer decided to crap out on me in a flourish of flickering lights and sputtering attempts to hold on to its position as the most favored of all electronic power adapters. After Dell sent me the wrong cord, and Ebay sent me a non-working cord, I decided to re-investigate my power supply options while intermittently borrowing a coworkers cord that works for my old-ass computer as well. It's really a relic, and it's a wonder that he even had a compatible cord. My computer exists solely for my facebooking and photo-storage needs, so it really hasn't been that hard to keep the old girl turned off. But while I'm borrowing the cord, I might as well catch up on some things.

The other time-sucking activity I have recently devoted my slightly obsessive personality to is the reading and viewing and hanging-on-to-of-every-wording of all things Harry Potter. Boyfriend recently started listening to the books on mp3, and suggested we read/listen to them together. This, it turns out, was a really really great idea.

I read the first three books years ago when they first came out, but my Harry Potter attention span tapered off due to the lag time between releases. Boyfriend was on book 4- Goblet of Fire- but since I had already seen that movie I figured it would be sufficient to jump ahead (one of my many tragic misjudgments). I picked up the nearly 900-page Order of the Phoenix, and literally did not put it down for two days straight. I read it all in under 48 hours (which means that I did nothing but read and flip over on the couch every couple hours to prevent bed sores) and for the next week had dreams of Voldemordt, Harry, and Doby. I love Doby. It's a shame they cut him and Winky out of the movies. Lets be clear, when I say I had "dreams" I mean every possible scope of dream imaginable. Daydreams, night dreams, nightmares, thoughts, ponderings and relentless stewing over every detail of the story. I was so ridiculously obsessed by the time that I went back to book 4 that my thoughts were playing through my head with a bloody British accent. If ever there was mind control, this was it.

After a week of nothing but Harry Potter I decided to give it a rest- literally. It was taking hours to fall asleep at night because I couldn't get my anxious Harry Potter thoughts out of my head. I haven't read any more HP since I finished Goblet of Fire, but Half-Blooded Prince is sitting on my nightstand and I swear it calls out to me at night. But no! I will persevere. Boyfriend is only on chapter 11 of Order of the Phoenix, and I promised I would wait for him to catch up. Could this be the end of my personal integrity? I think its a worthy enough cause...

Harry Potter aside (as though that is even possible for me), I am increasingly excited about life in this city. Things with boyfriend are going really well despite him being gone so much- and there is end in sight for his travel. We've been dating a year and a half and one day exactly and the relationship is still exciting and fun and I find more things I love about him every day. Sappy much? I'll stop. The point is I'm much happier than I was a month ago, and it seems things are on the upswing, which, everyone knows, is the best part of the swinging process. Not that swinging process. Come on, get your mind outta the gutter. Geeze.

1 comment:

Sara said...

My sincerest apologies for failing to properly warn readers before discussing Harry Potter. I thought I was being vague enough, though, that nothing would be spoiled. Still, next time I'll make sure to let you know when you need to avert your eyes. :) Enjoy reading the rest of the books--they only get better as you go!